Advertising media buyer apprenticeships - where to start
You can get into this job through
a university courseworking towards this role
You could get into advertising with any degree subject, although some employers may prefer a relevant subject like:
advertising and marketing, statistics or operational research, communication and media studies or business or management.
You'll usually need 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree.
You could start in a junior position like office assistant in a small advertising agency and work your way up through training and promotion.
You'll find it useful to get experience to help you understand the industry and to meet people who may help you find paid work. You could try work experience, internships or temporary employment. You could contact agencies directly to ask about placements, and make industry contacts through social networking sites like Twitter or LinkedIn. Employers will usually be more interested in your personal qualities, like creativity, quick thinking and business sense, as well as your formal qualifications.
Advertising media buyer apprenticeships - what it takes
Skills and knowledge
- knowledge of media production and communication
- the ability to use your initiative
- the ability to organise your time and workload
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- to be flexible and open to change
- the ability to come up with new ways of doing things
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Advertising media buyer apprenticeships - what you'll do
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- identifying the target audience and deciding how to reach them through advertising
- keeping up with industry research into people's lifestyles
- building relationships with clients and media sales companies
- negotiating for the most suitable advertising spots at the best rates
- preparing costings for clients
- managing budgets
- monitoring audience figures
- analysing sales data, to judge a campaign's effectiveness
You could work in an office or at a client's business.
You may need to wear smart business dress.
Career path and progression - Advertising media buyer apprenticeships
You might choose to specialise in buying radio, online or television advertising.
You could eventually become a media manager of an agency, or move into media planning, account planning or account management.