Barista apprenticeships - where to start
You can get into this job through
a college coursean apprenticeshipapplying directly
You could do a college course that would give you some of the skills to do this role. Courses include:
- Level 1 Award in Introduction to Employment in the Hospitality Industry
- Level 2 Award in Barista Skills
- Level 2 Diploma in Food and Beverage Service
You'll usually need 2 or fewer GCSEs at grades 3 to 1 (D to G), or equivalent, for a Level 1 course. You'll need 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a Level 2 course.
You can train through a hospitality team member Level 2 apprenticeship.
This will usually take 12 months to complete. You'll do on-the-job training and spend time at a college or training provider. You'll usually need some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent.
You can apply directly for jobs. Some employers may prefer you to have experience in customer service or catering.
Barista apprenticeships - what it takes
Skills and knowledge
- customer service skills
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- the ability to sell products and services
- the ability to work well with others
- the ability to work on your own
- excellent verbal communication skills
- a good memory
- the ability to work well with your hands
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Barista apprenticeships - what you'll do
In this role you could:
- prepare the coffee shop ready for opening
- take customer orders and payments
- grind fresh coffee beans
- prepare and serve sandwiches and cakes
- clean and tidy work areas, equipment and coffee machines
- create displays of stock
- do stock checks and order new stock
- clean and tidy the coffee shop before closing
You could work in a coffee shop.
Your working environment may be noisy and hot.
You may need to wear a uniform.
Career path and progression - Barista apprenticeships
With experience, you could become a store manager and then move on to a regional manager role.
You could also become self-employed and set up your own coffee shop.