- GMFJ Reference
37.50 per week
- Date Posted
- Start Date
- Approx. Duration
Now Taking Applications
- Opportunity Type
As a nuclear engineer apprentice, you will learn the basics of hand-tools, machining, electrical theory, circuits, instruments, and control logic, before learning how to specify, troubleshoot and maintain various pieces of industrial equipment, such as nuclear vent and containment systems through lectures and practical workshop projects. You will then undertake focused professional engineering placements in industrial nuclear buildings across the business to gain an appreciation of the additional challenges and safety requirements of providing engineering services in such an environment throughout the engineering lifecycle (Design, Construction, Commissioning, Operations, Utilities). Following completion of your placements and subject to the business need and your career aspirations, your final role placement will be selected, and you will complete your training as a professional engineer in this area.
As a Nuclear degree apprentice, you will work towards BEng in Nuclear Engineering with specialist units, or BSc in Nuclear Science. The programme will involve:
- 12 x 5-week block delivery with residential facilities (flexible to employer requirements)
- Inquiry-led constructive learning and technology-based assessment
- Nuclear behavioural culture, safety, and security
- Employer focused contextual content
- Practical engineering workshop practice and skills
On completion, you will be able to use the knowledge, skills and behaviours developed to enable systems and equipment to operate safely, efficiently and in an environmentally sustainable way, meeting the requirements set out by AWE and those of the Professional Body Institutions. You will have a fundamental knowledge of engineering / science principles and practices and will be able to demonstrate discipline skills commensurate with their employed job role that typically will include design, plant performance enhancements, operational management, project management and maintenance of safety standards, utilising analytical thinking to provide innovative solutions. You will also demonstrate good team skills and the ability to communicate in a variety of forms to all levels within an organisation.
This role may appeal to you if you enjoy:
- Understanding how things work and improving them
- Solving problems in different ways
- Working with Control Systems (Coding Raspberry PI/Arduino, hacking consumer electronics, small audio electronic projects etc.)
- Working with Mechanical Assemblies (Car/bike/clock maintenance, restoration, and modification etc.)
- Working with Electrical Systems (Home electrical maintenance, changing sockets/light fittings, vehicle electrical systems)
- Interest in learning / improving practical applications
- Applying engineering principles into real life scenarios
Duration of training: 4 ½ years (varies depending on personal performance)
Location: You will be based at Aldermaston (close to Reading)
What AWE offer:
- A starting salary of £20,000. This increases annually with second year salary being £22,500
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work!
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
The deadline line for applications is Sunday October 29th. The earlier you apply the better chance you have of success.
For more information about this vacancy please contact GetMyFirstJob Recruitment on email@example.com (Ref ID: 239797)
Company website : https://www.awe.co.uk/careers/early-careers/apprenticeships/
Level 6 entry requirements:
- Good communication skills (i.e. technical speaking, active listening, professional writing, professional body language and technical presentation)
- Reliability with a high level of respect for confidentiality on work-related and personal matters
- Ability to work autonomously and interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team
- Ability to understand the impact of work on others, especially where related to diversity and equality
- Good time management skills (i.e. planning and completing work to schedule)
- A supportive attitude to change and ability to respond positively to change management processes
- Ownership for personal development
- Open attitude towards receiving feedback
- Committed to health & safety (i.e. personal, workplace, radiological and nuclear)
- Effective at following rules, procedures and principles
- Enthusiasm and motivation for the nuclear industry
- PC literate
- Excellent team working skills
- Ability to concentrate for long periods
- Applicants must be aged 18 or over, as of 12th August 2024 due to security clearance requirements
- 3 A levels grade C or above inc. Maths. Or level 3 equivalent qualification. (Minimum of 102 UCAS points OR existing level 3 qualification - equivalent to an A level)
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role.
All successful candidates will join on 12th August 2024. It is important that you are available that week and the week commencing 19th August so you can meet the rest of the Apprentice cohort and take part in our induction programme. There is another compulsory training week from 11th September, so you'll be asked not to request annual leave that week either.
AWE's ambition is to create workplaces where they recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. They strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants.
Any inclusion information you provide will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.