Retail jeweller apprenticeships - where to start
You can get into this job through
a college coursean apprenticeshipapplying directly
You could do a retail or business course at college to get some of the skills needed for this job. Courses include:
- Level 1 Award in Retail Skills
- Level 2 Diploma in Skills for Business Retail
You'll usually need GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths.
You may be able to start in this career by doing a retailer Level 2 apprenticeship.
You may also be able to do the British Academy of Jewellery apprenticeship in jewellery retail. You'll usually need some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent.
You can get useful retail and customer care experience by volunteering in a charity shop, for example.
You can apply directly to jewellery stores. Employers will usually ask for GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) in subjects like English and maths, or art and design. Retail or customer service experience will be useful.
Retail jeweller apprenticeships - what it takes
Skills and knowledge
- customer service skills
- the ability to work well with others
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- sensitivity and understanding
- the ability to use your initiative
- excellent verbal communication skills
- the ability to sell products and services
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Retail jeweller apprenticeships - what you'll do
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- arranging displays in windows and show cabinets
- advising customers on products
- taking payments for goods, and issuing receipts and guarantees
- meeting sales targets
- using IT systems to manage customer accounts and control stock
You could work at a store.
Your working environment may be physically demanding.
You may need to wear a uniform.
Career path and progression - Retail jeweller apprenticeships
With experience, you could progress to specialist repairs, store management or buying.
You could open your own business.